94 years and counting
‘Cowboy Up’ is the theme of Cal Cam Fair opening today
FILE: Lots of food, drinks, and rides are ready for the weekend crowds at the Cal Cam Fair.
The Cal Cam Fair gates open today, Wednesday, Oct. 17, and will continue through Sunday, Oct. 21, at the West Cal Arena and Events Center in Sulphur. “Cowboy Up” is the theme for one of the state’s oldest fairs, now in its 94th year.
“For the first time ever, we’re going to feature bull fighting as part of the entertainment,” said Jan Nelson, Cal Cam Fair. “We’ve got bulls out of Mexico and Utah who’ll be pitted against trained bull fighters. I hesitate to call it traditional matador bull fighting because these fights won’t end with the bull’s death, but it does promise to be very exciting.”
The cost for this event, musical entertainment, pageants and exhibits including the live stock show, is included in the price of admission: $5 each for ages 11 and older and free for children 10 and under. Ride bracelets are $20 each, except on Saturday, when bracelets are $25. Parking is free.
• Today: Gates open at 4 p.m. Rides open at 5 p.m. The Miss Cal Cam pageant begins at 6 p.m. The Freshman Miss and Jr. Miss pageants follow. The fair closes at 10 p.m.
• Thursday, Oct. 18: Gates open at 4 p.m. Rides open at 5 p.m. The Teen Miss Cal Cam pageant is at 6:30 p.m. Bull fighting is at 7 p.m. The fair closes at 10 p.m.
• Friday, Oct. 19: Special citizens will enjoy the fair rides and festivities from 10 a.m. to noon. The gates will open to the general public at 4 p.m. Rides begin at 5 p.m. The livestock show begins at 6 p.m. at the West Cal Arena North Barns. Sulphur native and popular traditional country singer Casey Peveto will hit the stage at 7 p.m. The fair will close around 11 p.m.
• Saturday, Oct. 20: Fair gates and livestock show open at 10 a.m. Rides start at noon. Enjoy French band music from Tally Miller from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. Brad Brinkley performs at 7 p.m. He’s opened for Tracy Lawrence, Garth Brooks and Tim McGraw. Fairgrounds close at midnight.
• Sunday, Oct. 21: Gates open at noon and admission is free.
The West Cal Arena & Events Center is located at 401 Arena Rd. in Sulphur near I-10, exit 20.