Vehicle likely to blame for DeRidder house fire

A vehicle parked in the garage of a family home has been named as the likely culprit of a devastating house fire Tuesday in DeRidder.

DeRidder Fire Chief Ken Harlow said that crews first received a call of a fire at a home in the Green Acres subdivision at approximately 3:29 p.m., and that the first crew arrived on scene at 3:34. He said the blaze was considered “under control” by 4:45 and the final crew left the scene at 8:29.

While Harlow said that the final determination of what exactly caused the fire won’t be known for some time, he said his initial investigation strongly connected the fire to a vehicle parked in the home’s attached garage. He said that the family’s tragic loss highlighted an often overlooked safety concern.

“It’s actually not that uncommon to have a fire start from a vehicle,” he stated. “We have actually had many calls of vehicles catching on fire just parked in a driveway.”

Harlow said that the problem in past incidents has most often been traced back to a wiring issue with the vehicle that then caused the flammable liquids inside to catch fire. He said the best line of defense is to always maintain a properly working smoke detector for early detection.

No one was home at the time of the fire, but two pets were inside at the time that firefighters arrived. Harlow said one pet died, most likely of smoke inhalation, and the other was transported to an emergency vet clinic for overnight care.

He said one firefighter did receive minor burns while fighting the blaze, but refused medical treatment.

“He received treatment at the scene and then requested to go back to fighting the fire,” Harlow stated. He said that as of Wednesday, the firefighter was doing “just fine.”

Beauregard Parish Chief Deputy Joe Toler was in the area when he saw the blaze, and he said the fearless efforts he saw from the DeRidder and Beauregard District 4 firefighters was inspiring.

“My hat is off to them. I watched as they entered the house while it was in flames through heavy smoke to do their jobs, and what they do is supernatural,” Toler stated.

Neighbors of the house fire victims immediately set up an online account for the family, and spent the evening collecting donations to help the family recover as quickly as possible.

“They’re a sweet family and we all just want to help them as much as we can,” neighbor Kara Kelley stated.

Local News

First legislative session was mixed bag for Landry

Local News

Cassidy among leaders marking D-Day anniversary in France

Crime

6/4: Calcasieu Parish Sheriff announces arrest list

Local News

New Orleans plans to spiff up as host of next year’s Super Bowl

Jim Beam

Jim Beam column:Disappointing session is over

Crime

State Police investigating officer-involved shooting on I-10

Local News

Rousse: Expect more specialized degrees at McNeese, fewer general studies offerings

Local News

McNeese Rodeo Team going to the College National Finals Rodeo 

life

Lake Area Beekeepers Club to present program at the Sulphur Library

life

VIDEO: Dinosaurs take over Central Library

Local News

Cassidy: Insurance crisis hurting Louisiana families

Crime

Arrest made in LaGrange Street shooting

Crime

6/4: Calcasieu Parish Sheriff announces arrest list

Crime

President Biden’s brother, son’s widow among witnesses expected at Hunter Biden’s federal gun trial

Crime

Iowa man gets 10-year sentence for sexual battery, domestic abuse

Local News

Yet another round of thunderstorms expected this afternoon

life

Westlake Recreation Center renamed after local ‘icon’

Local News

‘This close’ but Tigers can’t hold on, season ends

LSU Sports

‘This close,’ but Tigers come home empty

life

United Way empowering the youth of SW La. with Summer of Service initiative

Local News

Lawmakers approve surgical castration of child sex offenders

life

PHOTO GALLERY: Free junior golf clinic

Crime

Crimes against nature conviction, sentence will stand

Local News

Sexually transmitted disease rates a cause for concern in La.