CPSO: Man flees in high speed chase with 2-year-old

Published 6:44 pm Friday, March 24, 2023

Special to the American Press

A 43-year-old Moss Bluff man is accused of leading Calcasieu Sheriff’s deputies on a high-speed chase with his 2-year-old child in the vehicle.

According to the CPSO, deputies were dispatched to a Moss Bluff home at about 11 p.m. Thursday in reference to a domestic disturbance.

When deputies arrived, they say they observed the victim lying in the roadway. During the initial investigation deputies say they learned the victim had been in a domestic dispute with Byron H. Whites. The victim was able to get away from White and while attempting to get help from a neighbor she observed White attempting to leave the home with their 2-year-old child. The victim tried to stop White from leaving with the child, when he struck her with his Jeep and ran over her leg, then fled the scene.

Email newsletter signup

A short time later, deputies located the suspect’s vehicle on I-210 near the Fruge Street exit and attempted to conduct a stop. White failed to stop for deputies, leading them on a pursuit. The pursuit continued over the I-210 Bridge into Sulphur and Vinton. Deputies terminated the pursuit once in Texas due to safety concerns for the child due to White driving at high rates of speed.

Several minutes later, deputies observed White’s vehicle on I-10 headed eastbound near mile marker 1. Deputies attempted to conduct a stop, at which time White fled again, exiting I-10 eastbound and getting back on I-10 traveling westbound. CPSO deputies terminated their pursuit in Texas due to safety concerns for the child due to White driving recklessly.

Once in Texas several Texas agencies pursued White. Harris County Sheriff’s Office ultimately located White after he crashed the vehicle in Harris County.

White was transported to a Texas hospital and will be detained on a CPSO warrant for domestic abuse battery intentional use of force with a deadly weapon serious bodily injury; and aggravated flight from an officer. Judge Tony Fazzio set no bond pending a Gwen’s Law Hearing.  He will also face charges from Texas agencies stemming from the pursuit in Texas.

The domestic abuse victim was transported to a local hospital, where she was treated and released pending further medical treatment. The juvenile was transported to a hospital in Texas after the crash and is in stable condition.