Carbon monoxide leak sickens 32 people in New York City

The Associated Press

NEW YORK — A carbon monoxide leak in a building three blocks from the World Trade Center sickened 32 people and raised alarm that shuttered several busy blocks in lower Manhattan at the start of the workday Tuesday, authorities said.

The problem ultimately was traced to a broken boiler pipe in a grocery store basement, Fire Department Chief of Department James Leonard said. But people started feeling faint around 8:30 a.m. just as a worker opened a package in the basement, stirring worries that the parcel might have been poisonous.

The concern brought a police bomb squad and FBI agents to the scene. Authorities ultimately determined the package wasn’t hazardous, Leonard said. It contained salad bowls.

“A prudent person could make that connection — that ‘the box opened, then we passed out.’ But between the fire department and the police department, we ruled out that type of incident,” he said.

The grocery store, called Amish Market, and the apartments above in the 12-floor building were evacuated as firefighters measured carbon monoxide levels that maxed out their meters in some places. The meters measure up to 1,000 parts per million, enough to “render you unconscious very, very quickly,” Leonard said.

The normal level of carbon monoxide in a house can be from under one to 15 ppm, depending on whether there’s a gas stove, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

While some people passed out in the store, called and its basement, all the injuries were relatively minor, Leonard said.

A person who answered the store’s phone later Tuesday said no managers would be available to comment for the rest of the day.

Streets were cordoned off and emergency vehicles massed for several blocks around the building in the chic TriBeCa neighborhood. Small crowds clumped at police lines, tourists snapped photos and workers and residents tried to find out how to get where they were going.

The fire department’s preliminary reports described the emergency as a basement fire, but officials later clarified that it was a leak.

Authorities began lifting the lines before noon.

SportsPlus

Local News

Police Jury considers increases to grass ordinance fees

Local News

Qualifying ends, ballots set for November election

Local News

American Press winner of eight Louisiana Press Association awards

Local News

Allen Parish flood maps available for review

Local News

Ten Commandments won’t go in Louisiana classrooms until at least November as lawsuit plays out

Local News

Airlines, businesses hit by global technology disruption

McNeese Sports

Long road to McNeese

Business

Appeals court sends Commonwealth LNG decision back to FERC

Crime

Trooper arrested following off-duty DWI crash

Crime

Police: Attempted rapist broke into woman’s apartment through bathroom window

Local News

Daily showers, thunderstorms expected over next week

Crime

BREAKING: Police investigating early morning homicide

Local News

Council defers vote on potential Ernest and W. Claude development

life

Somber moment in community as Sacred Heart High School Gym demolished

Local News

Comedian Bob Newhart, deadpan master of sitcoms and telephone monologues, dies at 94

Local News

Trump has given no official info about his medical care for days since an assassination attempt

Local News

Lake Charles Police Department to host free National Night Out community event

life

Cajun Music and Food Festival introduces inaugural accordion contest

Crime

7/18: Calcasieu Parish Sheriff announces arrest list

Business

BREAKING: Smoke from Calcasieu Refinery blamed on flare

Jim Gazzolo

Jim Gazzolo column: Goff ready to turn the page on 2023

Local News

Toddler dies after shooting himself in the face, sheriff says

McNeese Sports

Early work for Cowboys

Local News

WEATHER WATCH: Torrential downpours in forecast