Fire at Lake Charles Poultry

Staff members of Lake Charles Poultry united Monday afternoon to help second-generation owner Danny Bellard clean up following an early morning fire at the business. Bellard said the fire was caused by an electrical short in one of the freezers at about 1:45 a.m. Monday. Co-workers spent the afternoon power-washing the floors and walls of the business and cleaning soot from the remaining display cases. Bellard said he hopes to be able to reopen the business, which opened in 1969, next week.