Berken newest member of BESE

Published 10:43 pm Saturday, November 18, 2023

The new District 7 representative on the Louisiana State Board of Elementary and Secondary Education will be Republican Kevin M. Berken. 

In the runoff election on Saturday voters across eight parishes showed up to the polls in support of Berken, leaving a large gap between him and his opponent, Republican Erick Knezek.

Berken received 53.05 percent of the votes, leaving Knezek with 46.95 percent of votes.

Email newsletter signup

BESE oversees public education in Louisiana and sets educational policies and standards for State school systems, including guidelines for budget, policy, and curriculum. District Seven is made up of Acadia, Allen, Beauregard, Calcasieu, Cameron, Jefferson Davis, Lafayette and Vermilion parishes.