Peter LaFuria. (American Press Archives)
Last Modified: Thursday, October 31, 2013 9:56 AM
Dr. Peter LaFuria’s video voyeurism trial will be moved to Baton Rouge.
The case is scheduled to go to trial March 17. The date and location were set Wednesday in 14th Judicial District Court.
Judge David Ritchie previously granted a change of venue following a mock jury selection in which he deemed an unbiased jury could not be found in Calcasieu Parish.
LaFuria is charged with 269 felony charges: 186 counts of video voyeurism, 78 counts of sexual battery and five counts of molestation of a juvenile. He is accused of taking pictures of the genitals of unsuspecting patients.
LaFuria, who is free on $1.29 million bond, was not at Wednesday morning’s hearing.
There aren’t many jurisdictions that can accommodate the trial, Ritchie said. He said he had spoken with administrators at the 19th Judicial District Court in Baton Rouge to find a date that the trial could be held.
Ritchie said he thought the trial would take about two weeks, although there was discussion later in the hearing that the trial could take longer.
“Once we lock in this date, I don’t want there to be any delays,” Ritchie said.
Because of issues with the original search warrant, prosecutors had asked Ritchie to sever the charges not dealing with photos. But the point became moot when Ritchie ruled in May to allow all evidence to be admitted. Ritchie vacated the order to sever.
Vamvoras asked Killingsworth how many charges the District Attorney’s Office plans to bring to trial in March, but she did not say.
Ritchie also set several dates. He asked Vamvoras to give a list within two weeks of any evidence that has not been provided him, and asked Killingsworth to turn over any remaining evidence to Vamvoras by Dec. 2. Oral arguments will be heard Jan. 2.