Last Modified: Friday, September 21, 2012 2:19 PM
BATON ROUGE (AP) — The Baton Rouge man believed to be behind the bomb threat that led to the massive evacuation of the LSU campus earlier this week was indicted by a federal grand jury Thursday.
U.S. Attorney Don Cazayoux said William Bouvay, 42, was charged with one count of willfully conveying false information concerning the attempt to destroy property by means of explosives.
If convicted, Bouvay faces up to 10 years in prison and a fine up to $250,000.
Bouvay also faces a state charge of communicating false information of a planned bombing and could serve up to 20 years of jail time if convicted of those charges.
Cazayoux said federal prosecutors will work with District Attorney Hillar Moore "to achieve the best possible result in this case, which wreaked havoc and disrupted the lives of the people of LSU and the entire city of Baton Rouge."
Bouvay is being held in lieu of a $1 million bond at the East Baton Rouge Parish jail.
Bouvay was arrested Tuesday night after investigators from multiple agencies were able to track down the deactivated cell phone Bouvay used to call 911 Monday.
According to police documents, the caller said "Yes, I planted three bombs at LSU's school campus," and added "This is not a joke." Authorities believe he is the only person involved in the campus threat.
The caller didn't indicate a specific location on campus so bomb-squad officers with explosives-sniffing dogs were called in to sweep all of the 250 buildings on campus.
Authorities say Bouvay admitted to making the call after he was taken into custody.
Similar bomb threats were made last week at college campuses in Texas, North Dakota and Ohio, but authorities say they don't believe there is any connection to the Baton Rouge scare.
Officials believe a majority of the university's 30,000 students, professors and employees were on campus when the threat was phoned in.
Superintendent of state police Col. Mike Edmonson said the university was evacuated in under an hour after emergency text messages and emails were sent out but many found themselves ensnarled in traffic as thousands fled from campus.
LSU Interim President William Jenkins said those issues will be reviewed.
"An evacuation of this magnitude...does not come without problems," he said.
Students were allowed to return to dormitories late Monday night and classes resumed on Tuesday after officials determined there were no explosives on campus.
LSU Police Capt. Cory Lalonde says Bouvay is not an LSU student and doesn't appear to have any connection to the campus. Officials have refused to speculate on a motive, saying only that it wasn't a national security issue.
East Baton Rouge Sheriff Sid Gautreaux said Bouvay has had run-ins with the law before. He was charged with attempted second-degree murder and domestic violence after his ex-wife accused him of almost choking her to death. He entered a guilty plea in exchange for reduced charges and probation.
According to court documents, Bouvay was on probation at the time of his arrest.