Army Pfc. Shari Crump listens to a convoy brief by platoon leader prior to a resupply mission at the Joint Readiness Training Center at Fort Polk. (Sgt. Michael J. MacLeod / U.S. Army)
Last Modified: Friday, January 31, 2014 12:20 PM
The Army will maintain troop levels for a Fort Polk brigade that had been slated for inactivation at the beginning of this year, U.S. Sen. David Vitter, R-La., said Thursday.
Fort Polk’s 162nd Security Forces Assistance Brigade was awaiting the announcement of its inactivation, which could have seen more than 800 soldiers leave Louisiana.
Vitter, a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said he pressured the Defense Department to postpone making drastic cuts for the remainder of the year.
“I’ll remain committed to working with the Army to find a viable solution and path forward that allows the Army to be as strong as possible and keeps its presence in Fort Polk,” Vitter said in a news release.
“This is obviously not a permanent solution, but it’s great news for the time being to have the Army realize how vital Fort Polk and the 162nd Security Forces are to our national defense.”