Last Modified: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 5:29 PM
The trial of a man accused in a drive-by shooting last year has been moved to Nov. 13 because of a change in counsel, his attorney said.
Michael McHale said he was assigned to defend David Fontenot, charged with second-degree murder and attempted second-degree murder, after budget problems forced the Public Defender’s Office to end contracts with some attorneys.
McHale said he received the case about two weeks ago — leaving him little time to prepare for a murder trial. He said the Public Defender’s Office, the District Attorney’s Office and the court agreed to the continuance.
Authorities said Fontenot, being held at the Calcasieu Correctional Center on $750,000 bond, killed Stephin W. Bergeron in a drive-by shooting off La. 27 on April 13, 2011. He reportedly also tried to shoot Bergeron’s friend, Chance Bourgeois.
Prosecutors said the shooting followed an argument earlier that day between Fontenot and Bergeron.
Devin Blake Badon pleaded guilty to negligent homicide in Bergeron’s death. He was tried on second-degree murder and attempted second-degree murder charges in February, but the trial ended in a mistrial when jurors deadlocked.
Badon reached a plea agreement in June and is to be sentenced Wednesday. Prosecutors said Badon helped Fontenot obtain a gun and bullets.