(Rick Hickman / American Press)
Water flows into a drainage canal in downtown Lake Charles as heavy rains throughout the day caused high water and made some streets impassable. (Rick Hickman / American Press)
Last Modified: Thursday, January 10, 2013 12:11 PM
Southwest Louisiana should brace for a continued onslaught of rain this weekend and into next week, as some storms moved eastward, out of the Lake Area, and others prepared to take their place.
Jeff Davis was the only parish to cancel classes for Thursday. Sowela's Morgan Smith site and Our Lady of Immaculate Catholic School in Jennings also cancelled classes for Thursday. All other schools, including Sowela's main campus in Lake Charles, are open Thursday.
National Weather Service meteorologists in Lake Charles said the worst of the first storms was likely to occur Wednesday night and Thursday morning, and rain would probably continue until early Thursday afternoon. By Thursday afternoon, storms would probably taper off until Saturday.
Nonetheless, flood warnings were in place from Beaumont, Texas, to Crowley. Small stream flooding was reported in many areas.
As of 4 p.m. Wednesday, the weather service recorded 1.36 inches of rain in Lake Charles, but as much 4 inches was possible overnight. For the most part, meteorologists say, the rain fell heavily across all of Southwest Louisiana, especially from Interstate 10 south.
The weather service said rain for the month stood at 6.99 inches Wednesday afternoon, 5.4 inches above normal for the area.
• There are several locations in Calcasieu Parish where residents can pick up sandbags. Bags and sand will be provided, but residents must bring their own shovels and fill their own bags.
• Ward 1 Barn, 461 Parish Road, Moss Bluff.
• Ward 2 Barn, 7085 La. 14, Hayes.
• Ward 3 Barn, 2320 Smith Road, Lake Charles.
• Ward 3 Public Works Facility, 5500 B. Swift Plant Road.
• Ward 4 Public Works Facility, 2915 Post Oak Road, Sulphur.
• Ward 5 Barn, 129 Third St., Starks.
• Ward 6 Barn, 1275 Plum St., DeQuincy.
• Ward 7 Fire Station, 2205 La. 388, Edgerly.
• Ward 8 Barn, 726 Parish Barn Road, Iowa.