Last Modified: Saturday, September 08, 2012 5:25 PM
Six people were arrested and charged with DWIs and 19 citations were written Friday night during a checkpoint conducted by state police and the Calcasieu Parish Sheriff’s Office.
Sgt. James Anderson said that in addition to the six arrests for DWI, the following tickets were issued:
• Six for driving under suspension.
• One for insurance violation.
• One for careless operation.
• One for improper turn.
• One for neon license plate.
• Two for expired motor vehicle inspection decal.
• Two for no driver's license.
• One for improper lane usage.
• Two for driving left of center.
• One for seatbelt violation.
• One for open alcoholic container.
"Last year, Troop D investigated 18 fatal crashes resulting in 20 fatalities," Anderson said in a news release. "Of those 20 fatalities, 10 were killed by impaired drivers. Alcohol and/or drug use may affect motor control by distorting one’s judgment of motion, form, and distance. It can also affect reflexes and reduce reaction time."
To report impaired drivers, motorists are encouraged to dial *LSP (*577) from their cellular phone or to contact their local law enforcement agency.
Funding for this checkpoint was provided by the Louisiana Highway Safety Commission.