JENNINGS — A Jennings man, wanted in Georgia for allegedly committing sex crimes against children, was captured Wednesday by the Louisiana Attorney General's Fugitive Apprehension Unit at a local residence.
Elton Freeman, 21, is wanted by the Fulton Country Police Department on charges of molestation of a juvenile, aggravated sodomy, cruelty to children and sexual battery of a minor, according to a news release from the Attorney General's Office.
Freeman is also wanted by the Fulton County, Georgia Sheriff's office for failing to appear in court on separate charges of molestation of a minor and sexual battery.
Freeman was located and arrested Wednesday at a residence on East Willis Street in Jennings.
The Jennings Police Department and the Attorney General's High Technology Crime Unit assisted in the investigation.
Freeman is being held in the Jeff Davis Parish Jail awaiting extradition to Georgia.
State police Troop D will conduct seat belt and DWI checkpoints in undisclosed locations in Calcasieu and Allen parishes.
The checkpoint in Calcasieu will be from 9 p.m. Saturday to 3 a.m. Sunday. The checkpoint in Allen is set for 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesday.
“Our mission will be to find and remove impaired drivers from the road before they can cause injury or death to themselves or others,” said Sgt. James Anderson. “Motorists are asked to remember to designate a sober driver before traveling to any place where alcohol will be consumed. Drive sober or get pulled over.”
Anderson said motorists are encouraged to dial *LSP (*577) or contact their local law enforcement agency to
report impaired drivers.
Support for both checkpoints is provided by the Louisiana Highway Safety Commission.
The Calcasieu Parish Sheriff’s Office reported the following arrests. All persons are presumed innocent until proven guilty.
• Thomas David Jackson, 46, 210 Decker St. — drug possession, moving violations. Bond: $100,250.
• Curtis Eugene Maulden Sr., 48, 3534 E. Roosevelt St. — three counts of drug possession with intent to distribute. Bond: $75,000.
• Nicholas Vincent Deleon Jr., 17, 2637 E. Napoleon St., Sulphur — seven counts of simple burglary, resisting an officer, contributing to child delinquency. Bond: $51,000.
• Paul Edward Atkinson Jr., 45, 104 Hereford Road, Ragley — sexual battery. Bond: $50,000.
• Benjamin Michael Smith, 38, 3619 Texas St., No. 63 — two counts of marijuana possession with intent to distribute. Bond: $20,000.
• Samuel Eugene Booker, 36, 2310 Green Briar St. — domestic abuse aggravated assault, domestic abuse battery with child endangerment. Bond: $10,000.
• Anthony Ray Brown, 44, 932 Tallow Road — drug possession, possession of drug paraphernalia. Bond: $5,000.
• Christopher Scott Carey, 42, 3936 Wright Road, Sulphur — drug possession with intent to distribute, possession of drug paraphernalia, driving with a suspended license, failure to signal.
The Beauregard Parish Sheriff’s Office reported the following arrests. All persons are presumed innocent until proven guilty.
• Brittany Tran, 21, DeRidder — drug possession. Bond: $20,000.
• Chance Butler, 35, DeRidder — drug possession. Bond: $34,500.
• Kenneth Skinner, 30, Anacoco — reckless operation, improper lane usage, no proof of insurance, expired inspection sticker.