Last Modified: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 2:59 PM
Veterans Day is Monday, Nov. 11 and there are many events scheduled for Southwest Louisiana.
The American Press has complied the following list of events. To add an event, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
A reminder to parents that it is a federal holiday and there will be no school for public schools in Calcasieu Parish.
• Sulphur Veterans Day parade: 9:30 a.m., Nov. 9 Maplewood Drive. The parade will feature the Fort Polk 162nd Infantry Brigade. Line-up begins at 8:30 a.m., and all entries must be in place by 9:30 a.m. Parade participants will enter from Beglis Parkway onto the west end of Maplewood Drive, between Walgreens and Kroger. After the parade wraps up, event-goers are invited to the SPAR Aquatics Center, 933 West Parish Road, where there will by a small car show and free laser tag.
• Avenue of Flags: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Nov. 11 Orange Grove/Graceland Cemetery. Casket flags line the drive through the cemetery in honor of fallen men and women. These flags were donated for the day. The event also features a history circle where replicas of eight previous U.S. flags are flown. The memorial flags measure 5 feet-by-91⁄2 feet.
• Veterans program: 9 a.m. Nov. 8 Welsh High School and Welsh Elementary School will hold their annual Veterans Day Program in the high school gym. All area veterans are invited to attend.
• Veterans Day at Veterans Home: 9:30 a.m. Nov. 8. at the Southwest Louisiana War Veterans Home, 1610 Evangeline Road, Jennings. There will be patriotic music and special readings. Guest speaker will be Staff Sgt. Jerroll G. Arana, of the United States Marine Corps.
• Veterans plaque dedication: 9 a.m. Nov. 9 at Veteran’s Park, South Adams Street in Welsh. A flag retirement ceremony sponsored by the Welsh American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars and Live Oak Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution, will follow at the Welsh Museum, 202 E. South St. Refreshments will be served.• Veterans Day Program: 8:15 a.m. Nov. 11 at James Ward Elementary School, 208 Shankland Ave., Jennings. Local veterans and the public are invited to attend. Veteran family members are also invited to join their children or grandchildren for breakfast at 7 a.m. in the cafeteria. Call 824-1235.
• Veterans Program: 9 a.m. Nov. 11 in the Kinder Elementary School gym. A reception honoring local veterans will be held in the school’s library following the program.