Advertisement

American Press

Breaking News:

Major drug bust

Tuesday, October 21, 2014
Southwest Louisiana ,
| Share |
(mgnonline.com)

(mgnonline.com)

State planning next year’s voucher program despite rulings

Last Modified: Friday, March 29, 2013 9:59 PM

By Nichole Osinski / American Press

The state Department of Education is still planning next school year’s voucher program despite continued opposition. The state Supreme Court heard arguments against the program on March 19. A decision has not yet been made.

The department announced an increase of students who have applied for the Louisiana Scholarship Program. State Superintendent John White said roughly 12,000 students have sought to participate — up from about 10,000 in 2012.

“In spite of all efforts to stop parents from choosing schools they have continued to choose schools for their children,” he said. “As a state we have to do everything we can to honor that choice.”

A lawsuit against the program had originally been filed by the Louisiana School Boards Association, along with the Louisiana Federation of Teachers, the Louisiana Association of Educators and 44 Louisiana school districts.

In November a state district court judge ruled that using the program to divert funds through the Minimum Foundation Program to private entities was unconstitutional. It was later appealed to the Louisiana Supreme Court.

White said voucher applicants will be notified about their status by mid-April. According to the Education Department, there are 129 schools on the students’ application — up from 118 last school year.

There are also five other schools participating but not taking new students. Park Vista Elementary in Opelousas is the only public school participating in the program. The vouchers allow low-income students in C, D and F public schools to receive education aid.

“Whether or not the schools were going to participate was largely dependent upon what the accountability was going to look like,” said District 7 Board of Elementary and Secondary Education member Holly Boffy. “Those decisions were made late last summer.”

Students who were in the program last year and want to continue are automatically allotted into spaces for this coming school year. White said about 4,800 students are returning and about 7,000 are new applicants.

The vouchers cost about $22 million a year. White said it costs the state about $8,500 each year for students to attend public schools. He said that because a decision has not yet been made by the court, the department is not making assumptions about costs.

“We expect ... the Supreme Court will provide a similar level of guidance as well so that the ruling will be fairly prescriptive,” White said.

“Because the rulings themselves basically give you the game from a policy perspective, there’s really no point in speculating in how you would fund it.”

Comment on this article

captcha 3806f042bd304fd3b9c25c36bae66da7




Get Social With Us!

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Mobile
  • Feed
Advertisement

Copyright © 2014 American Press

Privacy Policies: American Press