Son of accused killer Locke takes stand in trial

By By Johnathan Manning / American Press

Sahara Locke told jurors in 14th Judicial District Court on Tuesday how he and his father tried to move his sister’s body

on May 4, 2005, before covering her with a sheet.

Wilson Locke, 57, Sahara’s father, is on trial for the murder of his 28-year-old stepdaughter, Serebia Dean.

Authorities said Wilson Locke shot Dean to death.

Wilson Locke has pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity. He was found incompetent to stand trial three times before finally

being found competent in September 2009.

A psychiatrist who examined Wilson Locke was among those who testified Tuesday, and more psychiatrists are expected to testify today.

Wilson Locke purchased shotgun shells at Walmart at 4:38 p.m. May 4, 2005, then a shotgun at a pawn shop at 5:08 p.m., according

to Gerald Thomas, with the Calcasieu Parish Sheriff’s Office. He said Dean was killed just before 10 p.m. that day.

Sahara, who was 17 at the time of his

sister’s death, said he was in his room at the time of the killing. He

said he heard

his sister and father arguing over what he believed to be

finances. There was “yelling, yelling, yelling, yelling, yelling,”

he said.

He said he saw his father go into his bedroom and get what he “thought was a gun; was hoping it wasn’t.” Soon after, he heard

a pop and what sounded like a body hitting the floor, he said.

“I was hoping that what I thought had happened hadn’t,” Sahara said. “In my experience dealing with him, you learn to expect

the unexpected.”

His father then came to his bedroom and alternated between fussing at him and pointing the gun at him, he said. After they

attempted to move the body, “he left and that was the last time I saw him until yesterday,” Sahara said.

Under further questioning, Sahara also spoke of his upbringing under Wilson Locke, who was so strict, he often needed to “walk on

eggshells” around him. “I basically became a clam,” Sahara said. “I didn’t speak unless spoken to.”

Arguments between Wilson Locke and Dean were usually initiated by Wilson Locke, he said.

Sahara, as well as psychiatrist Dr.

James Anderson, testified that Wilson Locke claimed someone had implanted a

bug or chip inside

his body; Sahara said Wilson Locke claimed it was implanted in his

brain, while Anderson said Wilson Locke claimed it was in his tooth.

Sahara also said Wilson Locke claimed that someone had gassed the house.

Anderson said it was his belief that Wilson Locke had a delusional disorder before the incident.

Under questioning, Anderson said Wilson

Locke had delusions that his life was in danger and that someone was out to

get him. Asked

if purchasing a weapon and ammunition and shooting the person he

perceived to be a threat would be a reasonable response to

the delusions, Anderson answered, “Yes.”

He later said that though Wilson Locke had a delusional disorder, he “definitely” could distinguish right from wrong.

Sheriff’s officers who worked the crime that day testified that Wilson Locke flagged them down and told them he had shot someone

in his home.

They testified they arrived at his home to find a screaming child in the home as well another male, Sahara. They said they

followed a trail of blood down the hallway to a bedroom, where a body had been covered by a sheet.

Darlene Saner, who said Sahara had come to her house to play basketball the day of the shooting, said she saw Wilson Locke leaving

his house with a gun wrapped in a towel.