Authorities storm Alabama bunker, rescue young boy

MIDLAND CITY, Ala. (AP) — Law enforcement

officers stormed an underground bunker Monday in southeastern Alabama,

freeing a

5-year-old boy and shooting his captor to death after they became

convinced the child was in imminent danger, officials said.

Jimmy Lee Dykes, 65, of Midland City had

taken the child off a school bus after fatally shooting the driver on

Jan 29. He

had remained holed up in the bunker with the child ever since,

communicating with authorities through a ventilation pipe into

the shelter.

Dykes had been seen with a gun, and officers concluded the boy was in imminent danger after nearly a week of negotiations,

said Steve Richardson of the FBI's office in Mobile.

Dale County Sheriff Wally Olson said late Monday that Dykes was armed when officers entered the bunker to rescue the child.

He said the boy was threatened but declined to elaborate.

"That's why we went inside — to save the child," he said.

Olson and others declined to say how Dykes died. But an official in Midland City, citing information from law enforcement,

said police had shot Dykes.

The official requested anonymity because the official wasn't authorized to speak publicly about the investigation.

Dykes was known by neighbors for his

anti-government rants and for patrolling his property with a gun, ready

to shoot trespassers.

He had stayed for several days in the tiny bunker on his property


"He always said he'd never be taken alive. I knew he'd never come out of there," said an acquaintance, Roger Arnold.

Monday evening, officers were sweeping the property to make sure Dykes had not set up any bombs that could detonate. Full

details of the bunker raid had not yet emerged. However, neighbors described hearing what sounded like gunshots around the

time officials said they entered the shelter.

At a late Monday news conference, authorities declined to comment on how they had observed Dykes or on how he died, citing

the pending investigation.

Asked about the official's statement that

Dykes had been killed by law enforcement officers, FBI spokesman Jason

Pack said

in an email early Tuesday: "The facts surrounding the incident

will be established by a shooting review team from Washington,

DC in the coming days."

The boy has been reunited with his mother and appears to be OK, authorities said.

Richardson said he had been to the hospital to see the boy and he was laughing, joking, eating and "doing the things you'd

expect a normal 5- or 6-year-old to do."

Michael Senn, pastor of a church near where

reporters had been camped out since the standoff began, said he was

relieved the

child had been taken to safety. However, he also recalled the bus

driver, Charles Albert Poland Jr., who has been hailed as

a hero for protecting nearly two dozen other children on the bus

before being shot by Dykes.

"As we rejoice tonight for (the boy) and his family, we still have a great emptiness in our community because a great man

was lost in this whole ordeal," Senn said.

The rescue capped a long drama that drew

national attention to this town of 2,400 people nestled amid peanut

farms and cotton

fields that has long relied on a strong Christian faith, a policy

of "love thy neighbor" and the power of group prayer. The

child's plight prompted nightly candlelight vigils. Midland City

is located about 100 miles southeast of the state capital,


Throughout the ordeal, authorities had been speaking with Dykes though a plastic pipe that went into the shelter. They also

sent food, medicine and other items into the bunker, which apparently had running water, heat and cable television but no

toilet. It was about 4 feet underground, with about 50 square feet of floor space.

It was not immediately clear how authorities determined the man had a gun.

At the request of law enforcement

authorities, Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta had approved the

provision of certain forms

of equipment that could be employed to assist in the hostage

situation, according to a U.S. official who requested anonymity

in order to discuss a pending law enforcement matter. It is not

clear whether the equipment was actually used.

Authorities said the kindergartner appeared unharmed. He was taken to a hospital in nearby Dothan. Officials have said he

has Asperger's syndrome and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.

Melissa Knighton, city clerk in Midland City, said a woman had been praying in the town center Monday afternoon. Not long

after, the mayor called with news that Dykes was dead and that the boy was safe.

"She must have had a direct line to God because shortly after she left, they heard the news," Knighton said.

Neighbors described Dykes as a menacing, unpredictable man who once beat a dog to death with a lead pipe. Government records

indicate he served in the Navy from 1964 to 1969, earning several awards, including the Vietnam Service Medal and the Good

Conduct Medal.

He had some scrapes with the law in Florida, including a 1995 arrest for improper exhibition of a weapon. The misdemeanor

was dismissed. He also was arrested for marijuana possession in 2000.

He returned to Alabama about two years ago, moving onto the rural tract about 100 yards from his nearest neighbors.

Arnold recalled that, for a time, Dykes

lived in his pickup truck in the parking lot of the apartment complex

where Dykes'

sister lived. He would stay warm by building a fire in a can on

the floorboard and kept boxes of letters he wrote to the president

and the unspecified head of the Mafia, Arnold said.

Dykes believed the government had control of many things, including a dog track he frequented in the Florida Panhandle. Arnold

said that Dykes believed if a dog was getting too far ahead and wasn't supposed to win, the government would shock it.

Ronda Wilbur, a neighbor of Dykes who said the man beat her dog to death last year with a pipe, said she was relieved to be

done with the stress of knowing Dykes was patrolling his yard and willing to shoot at anyone or anything that trespassed.

"The nightmare is over," she said. "It's been a long couple of years of having constant stress."