Malaysian military says missing jet changed course

By By The Associated Press

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia — The Malaysian military has radar data showing the missing Boeing 777 jetliner changed course

and made it to the Malacca Strait, hundreds of kilometers (miles) from the last position recorded by civilian authorities,

according to a senior military official.

The development injects more mystery into the investigation of the disappearance of Saturday's flight, and raises questions

about why the aircraft was not transmitting signals detectable by civilian radar.

Local newspaper Berita Harian quoted

Malaysian air force chief Gen. Rodzali Daud as saying radar at a

military base had detected

the airliner at 2:40 a.m. near Pulau Perak at the northern

approach to the strait, a busy waterway that separates the western

coast of Malaysia and Indonesia's Sumatra island.

"After that, the signal from the plane was lost," he was quoted as saying.

A high-ranking military official involved in the investigation confirmed the report and also said the plane was believed to

be flying low. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the information.

Authorities had earlier said the plane,

which took off from Kuala Lumpur on the western coast of Malaysia at

12:40 a.m. Saturday

en route to Beijing, may have attempted to turn back, but they

expressed surprise that it would do so without informing ground


The search for the plane was initially

focused on waters between the eastern coast of Malaysia and Vietnam, the

position where

aviation authorities last tracked it. No trace of the plane, which

was carrying 239 people, has been found by than 40 planes

and ships from at least 10 nations searching the area.

Earlier Tuesday, Malaysia Airlines said in a

statement that search and rescue teams had expanded their scope to the


Strait. An earlier statement said the western coast of Malaysia

was "now the focus," but the airline subsequently said that

phrase was an oversight. It didn't elaborate. Civil aviation chief

Azharuddin Abdul Rahman said the search remained "on both

sides" of the country.

Also Tuesday, authorities said two people who boarded the flight using stolen passports were Iranians who had purchased tickets

to Europe. Their use of stolen documents had raised speculation of a possible terrorist link.

Malaysian police chief Khalid Abu Bakar said investigators had determined one was a 19-year-old Iranian, Pouria Nourmohammadi

Mehrdad, and that it seemed likely he was planning to migrate to Germany.

"We believe he is not likely to be a member of any terrorist group," Khalid said.

Interpol identified the second man as Seyed

Mohammed Reza Delavar, a 29-year-old Iranian, and released an image of

the two

boarding a plane at the same time. Interpol Secretary General

Ronald K. Noble said the two men traveled to Malaysia on their

Iranian passports, then apparently switched to their stolen

Austrian and Italian documents.

He said speculation of terrorism appeared to be dying down "as the belief becomes more certain that these two individuals

were probably not terrorists." He appealed to the public for more information about them.

Noble said neither of the men had a criminal record.

Malaysia Airlines, meanwhile, said it is investigating an Australian television report that the co-pilot on the missing plane

had invited two women into the cockpit during a flight two years ago.

Jonti Roos described the encounter on

Australia's "A Current Affair." The airline said it wouldn't comment

until its investigation

is complete.

Roos said she and her friend were allowed to stay in the cockpit during the entire one-hour flight on Dec. 14, 2011, from

Phuket, Thailand, to Kuala Lumpur. She said the arrangement did not seem unusual to the plane's crew.

"Throughout the entire flight, they were talking to us and they were actually smoking throughout the flight," Roos said.

Roos didn't immediately reply to a message sent to her via Facebook.