After 37 years on lam, killer caught in Fla.

By By The Associated Press

DEERFIELD BEACH, Fla. — In the nearly

40 years after he escaped from the maximum-security military prison at

Fort Leavenworth,

convicted killer James Robert Jones carved out a new life for

himself in Florida, living under an assumed name, getting married

and working for an air conditioning company.

It all came to an end this week when Jones —

or Bruce Walter Keith, as the former Army private was known in Florida —


recaptured with the help of technology that was more sci-fi than

reality when he broke out during the disco era: facial-recognition


"The first words out of his mouth were, 'I knew this would catch up with me someday,'" Barry Golden, a senior inspector with

the U.S. Marshals Service, said Friday.

Jones, 59, was one of the Army's 15 most-wanted fugitives after his 1977 escape from the Kansas prison dubbed "The Castle"

for its large walls and tower keeps.

He was convicted of murder and assault in the 1974 killing of a fellow soldier at Fort Dix in New Jersey. The exact details

of the crime weren't immediately available. He was serving a 23-year sentence when he escaped.

The marshals caught up with Jones on Thursday after matching a Florida driver's license he was issued in 1981 in Keith's name

with his old military photograph, using facial-recognition technology.

Jones was arrested outside a Pompano Beach business after marshals tailed his pickup truck from his house.

Jones admitted his real identity as he was being fingerprinted, and the prints confirmed it. He was being held without bail

at the Broward County jail, awaiting transfer back to Fort Leavenworth.

No one responded to a voice mail left at a number listed for Bruce Keith at his Deerfield Beach address. Property records

show he and wife Susan Keith were married in 1983 and have lived there since 1984.

Susan Keith, 56, told investigators she had no idea her husband was living under an assumed name, Golden said.

No one answered the door Friday at their tidy, single-story, light-gray house. Parked in the driveway was a red pickup with

a Miami Dolphins logo, and a fishing boat on a trailer was visible behind a fence.

The investigation into Jones' escape had gone cold until last year, when an Army liaison to the Marshals Service happened

to mention the case and asked for help. The marshals began working on it January.

His military photo was compared against Florida's database of driver's license photos and yielded a hit.

After officers picked him up, he wouldn't even respond to his real name, perhaps because he had been living under an alias

for so long, Golden said.

Jones was 23 at the time of his escape and was last seen working in the dining facility. Fort Leavenworth spokesman George

Marcec said no one recalls anything about the escape because it was so long ago.

Between 1977 and 1998, there were seven escapes involving 11 prisoners at the disciplinary barracks, but all but Jones had

been recaptured. The Castle was closed in 2002 and prisoners were moved to a new prison on the base.

It wasn't immediately clear whether Jones would be court-martialed or simply returned to prison to serve out his sentence.

He could also face escape charges, Golden said.