Fugitive ex-cop may have hidden near police

BIG BEAR LAKE, Calif. (AP) — Police scoured mountain peaks for days, using everything from bloodhounds to high-tech helicopters

in their manhunt for a revenge-seeking ex-cop. They had no idea he was hiding among them, possibly holed up in a vacation

cabin across the street from their command post.

It was there that Christopher Dorner may have taken refuge last Thursday, four days after beginning a deadly rampage that

would claim four lives.

The search ended Tuesday when a man believed to be Dorner bolted from hiding, stole two cars, barricaded himself in another

vacant cabin miles away and mounted a last stand in a furious shootout in which he killed one sheriff's deputy and wounded

another before the building erupted in flames.

He never emerged from the ruins, and hours

later a charred body was found in the basement of the burned cabin along

with a

wallet and personal items, including a California driver's license

with the name Christopher Dorner, an official briefed on

the investigation told The Associated Press on condition of

anonymity because of the ongoing investigation.

The coroner's office is studying the remains to positively determine the identity.

LAPD Lt. Andrew Neiman said Wednesday the

department had returned to normal patrol operations, and about a dozen

of the more

than 50 protective details guarding possible Dorner targets will

remain in place until the remains are positively identified.

"This really is not a celebration," he said.

Neiman would not answer any questions regarding what occurred in San Bernardino County, saying it was that jurisdiction's


LAPD officers used the Internet to monitor radio chatter during the firefight.

"It was horrifying to listen to that firefight and to hear those words. 'Officer down' is the most gut-wrenching experience

that you can have as a police officer," Neiman said.

Dorner, 33, had said in a lengthy rant that police believe he posted on Facebook that he expected to die in one final, violent

confrontation with police, and if it was him in the cabin that's what happened.

The apparent end came in the same mountain

range where his trail went cold six days earlier, when his burning

pickup truck

— with guns and camping gear inside — was abandoned with a broken

axle on a fire road in San Bernardino National Forest near

the ski resort town of Big Bear Lake.

His footprints led away from the truck and

vanished on frozen soil. Deputies searched door-to-door in the city of

Big Bear

Lake and then, despite a blinding snowstorm, SWAT teams focused on

hundreds of vacant cabins in the forest outside of town.

With no sign of him and few leads, police

offered a $1 million reward to bring him to justice and end a "reign of


that had more than 50 families of targeted Los Angeles police

officers under round-the-clock protection after he threatened

to bring "warfare" to the LAPD, officers and their kin.

Just a few hours after police announced Tuesday that they had fielded more than 1,000 tips with no sign of Dorner, word came

that a man matching his description had tied up two people in a Big Bear Lake cabin, stole their car and fled. Authorities

didn't immediately give more details on the two people.

Jay Hylton told KABC-TV that they were two of his relatives, a mother and daughter pair of housekeepers, who weren't hurt.

After the women surprised Dorner, he tied them up and fled in a purple Nissan, the Los Angeles Times (http://lat.ms/XKkGt8)


One maid eventually broke free and called 911, the newspaper said.

Game wardens from the California Department

of Fish and Wildlife who were part of the search detail spotted the

Nissan that

had been reported stolen going in the opposite direction and gave

chase, department spokesman Lt. Patrick Foy said. The driver

looked like Dorner.

They lost the car after it passed a school

bus and turned onto a side road, but two other Fish and Wildlife patrols


up the road a short time later, and were searching for the car

when a white pickup truck sped erratically toward them in the

Seven Oaks area, about 30 miles down Highway 38 from Big Bear


"He took a close look at the driver and realized it was the suspect," Foy said.

Dorner, who allegedly stole the pickup truck at gunpoint after crashing the first car, rolled down a window and opened fire

on the wardens, striking their truck more than a dozen times.

One of the wardens shot at the suspect as he rounded a curve in the road. It's unclear if he was hit, but the stolen pickup

careened off the road and crashed in a snow bank.

The driver then ran to the cabin where he barricaded himself and got in a shootout with San Bernardino County deputies and

other officers, two of whom were shot, one fatally.

A SWAT team surrounded the cabin and used an armored vehicle to break out the cabin windows, said a law enforcement official

who requested anonymity because the investigation was ongoing. The officers then lobbed tear gas canisters into the cabin

and blasted a message over a loudspeaker: "Surrender or come out."

The armored vehicle then tore down each of the cabin's four walls.

A single shot was heard inside before the cabin was engulfed in flames, the law enforcement official told The Associated Press.

Until Tuesday, authorities weren't sure Dorner was still in Big Bear Lake, where his pickup was found within walking distance

from the cabin where he apparently hid.

Even door-to-door searches failed to turn up any trace of him in the quiet, bucolic neighborhood where children were playing

in the snow Tuesday night.

With many searchers leaving town amid speculation Dorner was long gone, the command center across the street was taken down


Ron Erickson, whose house is only about quarter mile away, said officers interrogated him to make sure he wasn't being held

hostage. Erickson himself had been keeping a nervous watch on his neighborhood, but he never saw the hulking Dorner.

"I looked at all the cabins that backed the national forest and I just didn't think to look at the one across from the command

post," he said. "It didn't cross my mind. It just didn't."

Police said Dorner began his run on Feb. 6 after they connected the slayings of a former police captain's daughter and her

fiance with his angry manifesto.

Dorner blamed former LAPD Capt. Randal Quan for providing poor representation before a police disciplinary board that fired

him for filing a false report.

Dorner, who is black, claimed in his online rant that he was the subject of racism by the department and was targeted for

doing the right thing.

Chief Charlie Beck, who initially dismissed

Dorner's allegations, said he would reopen the investigation into his

firing —

not to appease the ex-officer, but to restore confidence in the

black community, which had a long fractured relationship with

police that has improved in recent years.

Dorner vowed to get even with those who had wronged him as part of his plan to reclaim his good name.

"You're going to see what a whistleblower can do when you take everything from him especially his NAME!!!" the rant said.

"You have awoken a sleeping giant."

Within hours of being named as a suspect in

the killings, the 6-foot, 270-pounder described as armed and "extremely


tried unsuccessfully to steal a boat in San Diego to flee to

Mexico. After leaving a trail of evidence, he headed north where

he opened fire on two patrol cars in Riverside County, shooting

three officers and killing one.

With a description of his car broadcast all over the Southwest and Mexico, he managed to get to the mountains 80 miles east

of Los Angeles where his burning truck was found.

He spent his final days with a front-row seat to the search mobilized right outside.