Ex-LSU quarterback Jefferson pleads no contest, released from jail

BATON ROUGE (AP) — Former LSU quarterback Jordan Jefferson was released from jail Wednesday and placed on a one-year probation

after he pleaded no contest to a charge of simple battery stemming from a 2011 bar fight.

State District Judge Chip Moore placed Jefferson on supervised probation, fined him $100 and ordered him to do 30 hours of

community service. He also must submit to random drug testing.

Jefferson's troubles began in August 2011 when he and other LSU players were accused of beating a man near the LSU campus.

He pleaded innocent to an indictment handed up in September 2011 and was freed on a $5,000 bond.

But last week the 22-year-old Jefferson was arrested along with former LSU players Tyrann Mathieu, Derrick Bryant and Karnell

Hatcher on drug charges. The arrest violated his bond and Moore ordered Jefferson back to jail on Tuesday.

After one night in jail, Jefferson was free again after pleading no contest to the simple battery charge.

"Jordan saw this as an opportunity to move on and begin a new chapter in his life," his lawyer, Lance Unglesby, said.

He still faces a civil lawsuit filed against

him by four individuals for injuries they suffered in the bar fight.


said his no contest plea in criminal court is inadmissible in

civil court. He said the case against Jordan was without merit.

Jefferson had been playing in the Canadian Football League as a quarterback but is not playing on any team now. His agent

could not be reached for comment immediately.

Jefferson still may face charges related to his drug arrest last week. But Unglesby doubted he would be charged.

Hillar Moore, the East Baton Rouge Parish district attorney, said he had not received the case from the Police Department

and had not reviewed the evidence.

Jefferson and the other former LSU players

were taken into custody at Mathieu's apartment after police said they

found marijuana.

Mathieu, a one-time Heisman Trophy finalist, has no criminal record. He played cornerback until he was dismissed from the

team in August after reportedly failing a drug test.