Gunman fired day of Minneapolis office shooting

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A man fired just hours earlier from his job at a Minneapolis sign-making business walked into the company's

loading dock and began shooting, killing the owner and three others before turning the gun on himself, police said Friday.

Andrew Engeldinger, 36, injured at least four others in the attack Thursday at Accent Signage Systems. Police Chief Tim Dolan

said Engeldinger was fired from the company that morning, then returned about 4:25 p.m.

The attack lasted no more than 10 or 15

minutes, Dolan estimated, and Engeldinger may have chosen to spare some

former co-workers.

"It's clear he did walk by some people, very clear," Dolan said.

Police gave no details about why Engeldinger was fired. The company has declined to give any information since the attack.

Investigators who searched Engeldinger's

house Thursday night in south Minneapolis found another gun and

packaging for 10,000

rounds of ammunition in the house. In the shooting, Engeldinger

used a 9mm Glock semi-automatic pistol he had owned for about

a year, Dolan said.

"He's obviously been practicing in how to use that gun," Dolan said.

Among those killed was Accent Signage System owner Reuven Rahamim, 61, and Keith Basinski, a UPS driver who had made deliveries

and pickups at the business for years.

"He just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time," Dolan said of Basinski.

The other victims weren't immediately identified. Two people remained at Hennepin County Medical Center on Friday, one in

serious condition and one critical.

"It was a hellish time," Dolan said of the attack.

Police received multiple 911 calls from inside the business. When they arrived, Dolan said, they heard no shots.

He described Accent, a business that

includes both offices and manufacturing, as a large building with many

rooms branching

off to the sides. It took tactical units a long time to thoroughly

search the building, and they found two people hiding "a

very long time" after the attack began, Dolan said.

There was no security at the building, he said.

Engeldinger's uncle, Joe Engeldinger of New Germany, Minn., called his nephew a "good kid" who seemed normal and well-adjusted

until about two years ago when he broke off contact with his entire family.

"When I would see his family, I would ask them about Andy and nobody could ever tell me anything," Joe Engeldinger said. He

couldn't specifically remember the last time he saw his nephew, but said it may have been at a family birthday party about

three years ago.

They were once much closer. Joe Engeldinger, a professional handyman, said Andrew lived with him for a time in the early 1990s

shortly after graduating high school, and worked for him helping to renovate old houses.

"He was a good worker. I never didn't trust him with anything," Joe Engeldinger said.

Charles and Carolyn Engeldinger raised

Andrew and his two siblings in Richfield, a suburb directly south of

Minneapolis, according

to Joe Engeldinger. He said his nephew graduated from high school

but didn't attend college, and was excited early in the

last decade when he bought his first house — the modest bungalow

in south Minneapolis that police raided late Thursday night,

hours after the shooting.

Thomas Pitheon, a neighbor who lived across a rear alley and just down from Engeldinger's house, said he sometimes exchanged

greetings with the man he knew as Andrew but that he rarely made much of an impression otherwise.

"We just said hi, how you doing, that sort of thing," Pitheon said Friday. "He seemed like an average guy."

Pitheon said he "put two and two together" Thursday night after hearing about the shooting on the radio, then arriving home

after dark to find "about a dozen" SWAT teams swarming around Engeldinger's house.

Joe Engeldinger said Andrew's immediate family were having a "horrible time" since learning what happened. He said they were

as befuddled as anyone about why he withdrew from loved ones.

The phone line apparently belonging to Engeldinger's parents was not in working order Friday. His siblings, who also appear

to live in the Twin Cities, did not answer phone calls or respond to messages through social media channels.

"I can only assume there was some kind of

mental break there," Joe Engeldinger said. "He wasn't a monster. He

wasn't. He was

a real good kid, a real good person. He had a real good heart. I

don't know what made all this transpire. Hopefully the truth

will come out, and won't get twisted into some demented thing."