Clinton leaves hospital after treatment for clot

WASHINGTON (AP) — Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton was released from a New York hospital on Wednesday, three days

after doctors discovered a blood clot in her head.

Clinton's medical team advised her Wednesday

evening that she was making good progress on all fronts and said they

are confident

she will fully recover, said Clinton spokesman Philippe Reines.

Doctors had been treating Clinton with blood thinners to dissolve

a clot in a vein that runs through the space between the brain and

the skull behind the right ear.

"She's eager to get back to the office," Reines said in a statement, adding that the secretary and her family are grateful

for the excellent care she received at New York-Presbyterian Hospital.

Reines said details of when Clinton will return to work will be clarified in the coming days.

Clinton had been in the hospital since

Sunday, when doctors discovered the clot on an MRI test during a

follow-up exam stemming

from a concussion she suffered earlier in December. While at home

battling a stomach virus, Clinton had fainted, fallen and

struck her head, a spokesman said.

"Grateful my Mom discharged from the hospital and is heading home," the secretary's daughter, Chelsea, wrote on Twitter. "Even

more grateful her medical team (is) confident she'll make a full recovery."

Earlier Wednesday, the State Department said Clinton had been speaking by telephone with staff in Washington and reviewing

paperwork while in the hospital.

"She's been quite active on the phone with all of us," said State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland.

Before being released from the hospital,

Clinton was photographed Wednesday getting into a black van with her

husband, Bill,

Chelsea and a security contingent to be taken elsewhere on the

sprawling hospital campus. The last time Clinton had been seen

publicly was on Dec. 7.

Clinton's physicians had said Monday that

there was no neurological damage but that they planned to keep her in

the hospital

while they established the proper dose for the blood thinners.

They said Clinton, 65, had been in good spirits and was engaging

with doctors, family and aides.

Sidelined by her illness for most of

December, Clinton was forced to cancel scheduled testimony before

Congress about a scathing

report into the attack on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi,

Libya, and was absent on Dec. 21 when President Barack

Obama nominated Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., to succeed her when she

steps down at the start of Obama's second term, as had long

been planned.

But Clinton had expected to return to work

this week and had already started to resume regular phone contact with

her foreign

counterparts. On Saturday, the day before the clot was discovered,

Clinton had a half-hour conversation with Lakhdar Brahimi,

the U.N. envoy to Syria, in which the two discussed the state of

affairs in that country, her spokeswoman said.

Also on Saturday, Clinton spoke by telephone

with Qatari Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Hamad bin Jassim Al

Thani, discussing

recent developments in Syria, Afghanistan and the Palestinian


The illness has also raised questions about Clinton's political future and how her health might influence her decision about

whether to run for president in 2016, as prominent Democrats have been urging her to consider.

Clinton suffered from a blood clot in 1998, midway through her husband's second term as president, although that clot was

located in her knee.