US stands by charges against Boston bomb suspect

By By The Associated Press

BOSTON — Prosecutors say they oppose a defense motion to dismiss some charges against Boston Marathon bombing suspect

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

The filing Friday in federal court in Boston says the number of charges "reflects the number of crimes Tsarnaev committed."

Two pressure cooker bombs were placed near the marathon finish line last year, killing three people and wounding more than

260. The 20-year-old Tsarnaev has pleaded not guilty in the attack.

Prosecutors have said they will seek the death penalty against him for crimes that include using a weapon of mass destruction.

Lawyers for Tsarnaev said in a motion last month that the charges are repetitive and the total number could sway jurors weighing

whether to find him guilty and, if they do, whether to sentence him to death.