Last Modified: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:23 PM
Candidates seeking public office in five Southwest Louisiana parishes began signing up Wednesday for the April 6 election.
Qualifying for local races continues 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. today and 8:30-5 p.m. Friday at clerk of court offices.
Elections for the Jennings City Council have been delayed pending U.S. Justice Department approval of a new redistricting plan. The Jennings mayoral election will be held as scheduled.
There are no elections slated in Cameron Parish.
Here is a list of candidates who have qualified as of Wednesday, with (I) indicating incumbents:
• Ward 1 justice of the peace — Ricky Mahaffey and Stephen B. Manuel.
• Ward 1 constable — “Blackie” LeBlue and Earl Morrow.
• Ward 6 justice of the peace — no qualifiers.
• Lake Charles mayor: Randall “Randy” Roach (I).
• Lake Charles City Council — District A, Marshall Simien Jr. (I); District B, Luvertha August (I); District C, Rodney Geyen (I); District D, John Ieyoub (I); District E, Stuart Weatherford (I); District F, Dana Carl Jackson (I); and District G, Mark Eckard (I).
• Vinton mayor — Kenneth Stinson (I).
• Vinton council (five at large): Harold Douga (I), Kevin Merchant (I) and Marcus Renfrow.
• Vinton police chief — Ricky Fox (I) and Arthur Phillips Sr.
• Jennings mayor — Terry Duhon (I) and Marcus Peterson.
• Councilman of New Llano — Terry Speicher.