Last Modified: Monday, February 04, 2013 9:29 PM
The following is a list of the Mardi Gras activities for Southwest Louisiana:
If we are missing an event, please email the information to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include name of event, date, time, location, cost and contact name and number:
• Mardi Gras Shoebox Float Contest floats will be on display at the Visitors Bureau Welcome Center through Feb. 22. The People’s Choice Award will be presented Feb. 21. Call 436-9588 for more information.
• Krewe of the Golden Years, 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Tuesday at the Lake Charles Civic Center. Free to seniors 60 and up.
• Carlyss Mardi Gras Trail Ride, 8:30 a.m. Feb. 9. The day of festivities and chicken runs starts and ends at the West Cal Arena in Sulphur. Floats and horses are welcome. Lineup begins at 6:30 a.m.; parade will start at 8 a.m., with a $5 admission fee for trail riders.
• World Famous Cajun Extravaganza/Gumbo Cook-Off, 8 a.m.-2 p.m. Feb. 9 at the Lake Charles Civic Center. Admission is $5; children 5 and under are admitted free.
• Krewe of Omega Parade, 2 p.m. Feb. 9 in downtown Lake Charles. Elizabeth Conway Griffin, elected in 1995 as first black woman to serve on the Calcasieu Parish Police Jury, will be parade grand marshal. Those participating in the parade will assemble at 10 a.m. at the Civic Center. For more information, call Herman Guidry at 436-1179.
• Zydeco Dance, 3-5 p.m. Feb. 9 at the Lake Charles Civic Center.
• Krewe of Barkus Parade, 3 p.m. Feb. 9 at the Lake Charles Civic Center. Canines parade in full Mardi Gras attire, all vying for the title of “Mystical Dog.” Entry fee applies.
• Krewe of Cosmos presentation, 6:30 p.m. Feb. 9. The Krewe of Cosmos presents its royal court at the Sulphur High School auditorium with skits, songs and more.
• Krewe of Illusions presentation, 7:30 p.m. Feb. 9 at the Lake Charles Civic Center. Tickets cost $30 for orchestra, formal attire required; $18 balcony reserved seating and $15 standard balcony seating, casual attire.
• Taste de la Louisiane, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Feb. 10 at the Lake Charles Civic Center. Admission is $7.
• Children’s Day, Sunday, noon-3 p.m. Feb. 10 at the Lake Charles Civic Center. Old-time Louisiana culture, arts and crafts, Mardi Gras music and magic. An education station complete with safety and health information.
• Children’s Parade, 3:30 p.m. Feb. 10 in downtown Lake Charles.
• Lighted Boat Parade, 7 p.m. Feb. 10, at the Lake Charles Civic Center.
• Mardi Gras-ArtSpace Workshop, Feb. 11 at Children’s Museum, 327 Broad St. $7.50 for adults and kids over 23 months; $6.75 military; $5.75 for seniors. Call 433-9420.
• Royal Gala, 7 p.m. Feb. 11 at the Lake Charles Civic Center. The event features the courts of more than 60 krewes. Tickets are $5 in advance, $6 at the door. Children 5 and under are admitted free.
• Iowa Chicken Run, 10 a.m. Feb. 12. The chicken run starts and ends at KC Hall and runs west down U.S. 90.
• Motorcycles, Hot Rods & Classics Parade, noon Feb. 12 in downtown-midtown Lake Charles.
• Krewe of Krewes’ Parade, 5 p.m. Feb. 12 in downtown-midtown Lake Charles. Hundreds of krewe floats, costumes, beads and more will wind through the city as part of the Fat Tuesday celebration.