Alvin Sylvestor Jr. and Kandyse R. Sensat. (Special to the American Press)
Last Modified: Friday, April 12, 2013 6:29 PM
A 59-year-old Lake Charles man has been charged with attempted second-degree murder, authorities said.
Calcasieu Parish Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Kim Myers said Alvin Sylvestor Jr., 2596 La. 3059, was arrested Wednesday morning after stabbing a man during a domestic dispute.
“At 3:15 a.m., deputies were dispatched to a mobile home on La. 3059,” Myers said. “Witnesses said Sylvestor went to the home, which belongs to his estranged wife, broke several windows, threatened to kill the occupants and fled on foot.
“Sylvestor returned to the home (a few hours later) armed with two knives. He attacked his estranged wife’s friend, causing an arterial bleed and breaking a bone in his forearm.”
Myers said the victim struck Sylvestor in the head with a shovel during the incident. Both Sylvestor and the victim were transported hospitals for treatment.
Sylvestor will be charged with attempted second-degree murder, violation of protective order and simple criminal damage to property.
Bond was set at $550,000. Myers said Sylvestor’s estranged wife had an active protective order against him.
A 31-year-old Sulphur woman is facing charged after abusing an 11-year-old family member, authorities said.
Calcasieu Parish Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Kim Myers said Kandyse R. Sensat, 4017 Wildflower Drive, was arrested Monday.
“Following a recent argument with her live-in boyfriend, Sensat placed a blanket over the victim’s nose and mouth,” Myers said. “Detectives also discovered on a previous occasion, Sensat struck the victim multiple times on her arm and leg and had slammed the victim’s head into a wall.”
Sensat has been charged with two counts of cruelty to a juvenile and her bond was set at $100,000.
Myers said the victim was removed from the home and placed with family members.
LACASSINE — A Sulphur man is accused of stealing a vehicle from the Academy of Training Skills, where he was staying on a robbery charge.
Cedric Gary, 23, left the facility in a van without permission, said Christopher Ivey, Jeff Davis Parish Sheriff’s Office chief criminal investigator.
Gary was at a relative’s home in Beaumont, Texas. The Sheriff’s Office alerted authorities and Beaumont police located Gary and recovered the vehicle, he said.
Gary was extradited to Jeff Davis Parish and is being held on $100,000 bond.
The Academy of Training Skills provides an alternative to jail for people charged with facing lesser offenses.
A 20-year-old Ragley woman has been arrested after stealing a elderly woman’s purse at a store on Derek Drive, authorities said.
Calcasieu Parish Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Kim Myers said Kelli R. LeBlanc, 1500 N. Adams St., was arrested Wednesday.
“The victim said LeBlanc befriended her in the store,” Myers said. “The victims said when she was distracted, LeBlanc stole her purse and fled the scene. The investigation is continuing and we expect to file additional charge.”
Myers said LeBlanc was previously arrested Feb. 7 in connection with a burglary and theft in Moss Bluff but she was released after posting a $5,000 bond.
LeBlanc’s bond was revoked on Tuesday afternoon and she was re-arrested charged with purse snatching on Wednesday.
Bond was set at $15,000.
A 55-year-old Florida man has been charged with possession with intent to distribute marijuana following a traffic stop on Interstate 10 near Sulphur, state police said.
Sgt. James Anderson said Robert Earl Marlow, of Leesburg, Fla., was arrested Friday morning.
“Troopers, along with our K-9 Hugo, located approximately 44 pounds of marijuana hidden in Marlow’s vehicle,” Anderson said. “The marijuana has an estimated street value of $66,000.”
Marlow was also charged with speeding and improper lane usage. Bond was set at $30,200.
A 54-year-old Moss Bluff man has been arrested after stealing from a home on South Perkins Ferry Road, authorities said.
Calcasieu Parish Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Kim Myers said Terry J. Young, 1008 Sistrunk St., was arrested Thursday morning.
“Young stole several items from a garage and placed them in his truck,” Myers said. “When questioned by deputies, Young confirmed he stole several items, including power tools, a tent and food.”
Young was charged with simple burglary of an inhabited dwelling and theft under $500.
Bond was set at $5,000 by Judge Clayton Davis.
The Calcasieu Parish Sheriff’s Office reported the following arrests:
• Ben Allen Monroe, 34, 5725 Big Lake Road — simple burglary of an inhabited dwelling, theft $500-$1,500. Bond: $50,000.
• John Charles White, 30, 2908 General Mitchell Drive — two counts of battery of a police officer, resisting arrest with force or violence, harassment. Bond: $11,000.
• Nelson Lee King, 23, 1725 O’Brien St. — domestic abuse battery.
• Shawn Paul Stutes, 26, 5859 Tom Hebert Road, No. 44 — domestic abuse battery with child endangerment.
• Shirley Dickerson Freeman, 51, Liberty, Texas — theft over $500, obstruction of justice. Bond: $3,000.
• Stephen Anthony Landry, 51, 1619 Ace St. — theft under $500, criminal trespass, disturbing the peace. Bond: $1,500
• Dorothetta Yvette Nash, 28, 1602 Moss St. — two counts of forgery, theft over $1,500.
• Joshua Jermaine Anderson, 31, 624 Cusic St. — first-offense DWI, obstruction of public passage. Bond: $1,000.
• Mochum Macisaac Burton, 20, 1104 Arkansas St. — two counts of drug possession with intent to distribute, first-offense marijuana possession, possession of drug paraphernalia. Bond: $1,000.
• Cody Deshawn Lastrapes, 18, 1117 Sage Drive — drug possession with intent to distribute, drug possession.
• Angelle Paige Adams, 18, 803 Fiegel St., No. 5, Sulphur — drug possession, first-offense marijuana possession, possession of drug paraphernalia.
• Amy Sue Smith, 31, 803 Fiegel St., No. 5, Sulphur — drug possession with intent to distribute, drug possession, possession of drug paraphernalia, weapons charge.
• Larry James Vincent, 24, 803 Fiegel St., No. 5, Sulphur — drug possession with intent to distribute, drug possession, possession of drug paraphernalia, simple criminal damage to property under $500.
• Jeremy Wayne Rankins, 22, 2113 Tulip St. — criminal trespass, drug possession.