American Press

Sunday, May 28, 2017
Southwest Louisiana ,
(Special to the American Press)

(Special to the American Press)

Code amended in ’07 to deal with saggy pants

Last Modified: Monday, March 31, 2014 12:10 PM

By Andrew Perzo / American Press

In reference to Jeff Davis and its saggy-pants ordinance, when will Lake Charles do something about saggy pants?

The City Council in 2007 amended Lake Charles’ indecency ordinance, adding Section 13-14.1, titled “Public exposure of indecent attire prohibited.”

“It is the policy of the City of Lake Charles for all persons to be properly attired whenever they appear in public view on private or public property. Such persons are expected to dress in a manner that is neat and appropriate for recreation, school or work,” reads the provision.

“Pants worn by any person, regardless of age, should be size appropriate and secured at the waist to prevent the pants from falling below the hips and causing any indecent exposure of his or her person or undergarments.”

Violators can be fined $25 for a first offense and up to $200 for each subsequent offense. They can also be ordered to do 40 hours of community service and receive counseling.

“Violators of any provision of this ordinance shall be issued a citation and subject to the civil penalties described herein above,” the code reads.

“To this end, a violation of this ordinance shall not be deemed a criminal offense; and thus, violators shall not be subject to arrest, imprisonment, or other criminal penalty.”

Since 2007, Lake Charles City Court has handled three citations issued under the saggy-pants provision, said Tim Leger, the court’s judicial administrator.


Numbers for state, federal no-call lists

What is the number for the Do Not Call list?

The number for the state list, which is maintained by the Louisiana Public Service Commission, is 877-676-0773.

The number for the national registry, kept by the Federal Communications Commission, is 888-382-1222. The TTY number 866-290-4236.

If you’ve signed up but remain bedeviled by calls, file a complaint with the agency that handles the list you joined.

The PSC only accepts written complaints. Call 877-676-0773 to request a form, or download one from the agency’s website,

You can file complaints with the FCC at 888-225-5322 — TTY: 888-835-5322 — or via post, at Federal Communications Commission, Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau, Consumer Inquiries and Complaints Division, 445 12th St., SW, Washington, DC 20554.

You can also file a complaint online at


Area zoned mixed use since January 1984

I live on Fitzenreiter Road, on the east side of U.S. 171. From the 2600 to the 2900 block of Fitzenreiter Road, the south side of the street is zoned residential only, and the north side is zoned mixed use. When did that happen?

City officials said the area has been classified as mixed use since Jan. 1, 1984, when a comprehensive zoning ordinance took effect.

The Informer answers questions from readers each Sunday, Monday and Wednesday. It is researched and written by Andrew Perzo, an American Press staff writer. To ask a question, call 494-4098 and leave voice mail, or email

Comment on this article

captcha 24b82641644a4c148d37ecdcde9c24ab

Copyright © 2017 American Press

Privacy Policies: American Press