By Andrew Perzo / American Press"/> American Press - Home

American Press

Friday, May 26, 2017
Southwest Louisiana ,


Last Modified: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 2:32 PM

Temperature extremes common worldwide

Would it be any colder if we didn’t have global warming?

Probably not, said Andy Patrick, meteorologist-in-charge at the National Weather Service’s local forecast office.

But scientists “really can’t conclude one way or the other” whether global warming has played any role in this winter’s cold snaps, he said.

Cold- and hot-weather extremes happen regularly worldwide and “are relatively insignificant in evaluating global temperature conditions on much longer time scales,” Patrick said.

To determine localized effects of climate change, he said, scientists would need to analyze decades or centuries worth of data.

Researchers have said that the global average temperature has risen by about 1.5 degrees F over the last 100 years.


Law allows parents to disinherit children

Is there a law that says a parent can disinherit a biological child but not an adopted child?


Louisiana law allows parents to disinherit any of their children, biological or adopted. In most cases all it takes is an instruction written into a will.

But the process is more difficult if the children are considered “forced heirs” — i.e., they’re younger than age 24 or they’re mentally or physically incapable of caring for themselves.

Civil Code Article 1621 lists the acceptable reasons for disinheriting forced heirs:

The child has raised his hand to strike a parent, or has actually struck a parent; but a mere threat is not sufficient.

The child has been guilty, towards a parent, of cruel treatment, crime, or grievous injury.

The child has attempted to take the life of a parent.

The child, without any reasonable basis, has accused a parent of committing a crime for which the law provides that the punishment could be life imprisonment or death.

The child has used any act of violence or coercion to hinder a parent from making a testament.

The child, being a minor, has married without the consent of the parent.

The child has been convicted of a crime for which the law provides that the punishment could be life imprisonment or death.

The child, after attaining the age of majority and knowing how to contact the parent, has failed to communicate with the parent without just cause for a period of two years, unless the child was on active duty in any of the military forces of the United States at the time.

For more information, contact an attorney.


The Informer answers questions from readers each Sunday, Monday and Wednesday. It is researched and written by Andrew Perzo, an American Press staff writer. To ask a question, call 494-4098, press 5 and leave voice mail, or email

Comment on this article

captcha 3e431a3f6d024bc683d58a846a125fb7

Copyright © 2017 American Press

Privacy Policies: American Press