American Press

Saturday, April 29, 2017
Southwest Louisiana ,


Informer: First ask employer about W-2, then call IRS

Last Modified: Monday, February 11, 2013 10:46 AM

By Andrew Perzo / American Press

Who can I get in touch with if I haven’t received my W-2 form from my employer?

“Employers/payers have until January 31 to issue certain informational documents. If you do not receive your Form W-2 or Form 1099-R by January 31, or your information is incorrect on these forms, contact your employer/payer,” reads the website of the Internal Revenue Service.

“If you do not receive the missing or corrected form by February 14 from your employer/payer, you may call the IRS at 800-829-1040 for assistance.”

The IRS will need your name, phone number, address, Social Security number, the name of your employer and similar information. If you haven’t received the form by Feb. 14, the IRS will ask your employer to forward it to you.


ATVs not allowed on public roads

How much is the fine for driving off-road vehicles like three-wheelers on city streets?

As The Informer has noted before, R.S. 32:299 allows all-terrain vehicles to be operated on the shoulders of non-interstate public roads, but — except for “incidental crossing” — not on the roads themselves.

Other key parts of the statute: Drivers must be licensed; they must be engaged in “farm-related activities within a five-mile radius of a farmer’s farm”; and they can only use the shoulders during a period “starting thirty minutes after sunrise and ending thirty minutes before sunset.”

“The owner or operator of the off-road vehicle shall carry a copy of the motor vehicle registration, upon his person or on the off-road vehicle, to prove he owns at least one motor vehicle which is registered as a vehicle engaged in the business of actual farming ...,” reads the statute.

“As an alternative to the ownership of the motor vehicle, the operator of the off-road vehicle may carry a sworn affidavit attesting that he is engaged in the business of actual farming.”

The penalties for first-time violators of the law include a $175 fine and up to 30 days in jail. Subsequent violations can result in a fine of up to $500 and as many as 90 days in jail.


Who to call depends on who gave grant

Who do you contact if you know that a small-business grant recipient is committing fraud?

Not knowing the kind of grant or the kind of business, the best The Informer can offer is to say that you should contact the grant authority, be it a government agency or a private organization.

• • •

The Informer answers questions from readers each Sunday, Monday and Wednesday. It is researched and written by Andrew Perzo, an American Press staff writer. To ask a question, call 494-4098, press 5 and leave voice mail, or email

Comment on this article

captcha c113660b94844a67903985a37f2ce717

Copyright © 2017 American Press

Privacy Policies: American Press