Advertisement

American Press

Friday, October 31, 2014
Southwest Louisiana ,
| Share |
(American Press Archives)<br>

(American Press Archives)

Gas station planned for airport-owned property

Last Modified: Thursday, October 24, 2013 9:25 AM

By John Guidroz / American Press

The Lake Charles Regional Airport Authority approved an agreement earlier this month to build a gas station on airport-owned property along a stretch of Gulf Highway, a decision that could spur additional development projects in the area, according to Heath Allen, the airport’s executive director.

While a lease has not been finalized between the airport and the developer, Allen said Wednesday that the developer is considering property across the street from Burton Coliseum to locate the gas station. He said the lease could extend up to 50 years.

“It will be a pretty significant investment,” Allen said. “Right now, you really have to come into town to get gas. I think the gas station will work well with passengers and employees at the airport and people using rental cars.”

Federal law requires any structure built on airport property to undergo an airport airspace analysis to make sure it does not affect navigation.

Allen said the Texas-based consulting firm Kutchins and Groh is working on a master plan that includes a land use map. The map will identify which areas can be used for nonaviation development.

“We’ve got a lot of property that could be used for nonaviation purposes, whether it be a small strip mall or something else,” he said. “Any type of nonaviation revenue obviously helps the airport.”

Allen said the airport is operating on a master plan that was approved in 2005. He said the updated plan could be finalized early next year.

Grant money from the Federal Aviation Administration funds 90 percent of the plan, while the state Department of Transportation and Development funds the remaining 10 percent. Allen said the master plan is required for the airport to receive federal money to spend on capital improvement projects.

Posted By: Mark Marks On: 10/31/2013

Title: About Time That Air Port has bunches of Property they could lease out

Hopefully this is a Start of some development

Comment on this article

captcha c98d342a33b44c1e873ff7f79849a3a6




Get Social With Us!

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Mobile
  • Feed
Advertisement

Copyright © 2014 American Press

Privacy Policies: American Press