Last Modified: Friday, November 15, 2013 6:21 PM
A Sulphur man awaiting trial on a second-degree murder charge was arrested Thursday and charged with domestic abuse battery.
Austin Cedars, 18, 120 Canal St., and another family member, 25-year-old Keenan Wade Cedars, were indicted in January on a charge of second-degree murder.
Austin Cedars was arrested by the Calcasieu Parish Sheriff’s Office Thursday on the domestic abuse charge.
A deputy saw Cedars hitting a female in a parking lot and subsequently arrested him, said Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Kim Myers.
Austin Cedars and Keenan Cedars were originally held on $1 million bond on the second-degree murder charge, but their bonds were reduced to $200,000 and they bonded out of jail in January.
Both Cedars are scheduled to go to trial June 10 in the December shooting death of 26-year-old Anthony Batiste at the Cedars’ home on Louisiana Avenue.
Lake Charles Police said it was believed another relative, Shawna Cedars, had a sometimes relation with Batiste and that he had come to the house to retrieve his property.
A 21-year-old Lake Charles man is facing charges of attempted aggravated rape and illegal use of weapons, according to records from the Calcasieu Correctional Center.
Michael Anthony Dejean II, 4247 5th Ave., was arrested early Thursday morning by city police.
Bond was set at $950,000.
No other information is available.
City police captured one man and are looking for a second after an armed robbery Thursday night at a barber shop on Poe Street.
Corporal Larry Moss said 19-year-old Kevin Jaquelle Hill, 2022 Knapp St., has been charged with armed robbery, armed robbery with a firearm and illegal use of dangerous instrumentalities, discharging a firearm.
Judge Michael Canaday set Hill’s bond at $80,000.
Moss said Hill and another man entered Nero’s Barber Shop, 2509 Poe St., and pointed guns at three people.
“After obtaining an undetermined amount of cash the suspects fled,” Moss said Friday. “They fired several rounds into the barber shop as they left the area. No one was struck and no injuries were reported.”
Moss said the investigation is ongoing as they look for the second suspect.
A 39-year-old Lake Charles man has been charged with failure to register as a sex offender, according to records from the Calcasieu Correctional Center.
Zavier Ywon Lewis Sr., 2710 Warren St., was arrested Thursday morning. He was also charged with having an expired driver’s license.
Lewis, who was convicted of molestation of a juvenile in 2003, was released a few hours later after posting a $10,000 bond.
The Calcasieu Parish Sheriff’s Office reported the following arrests:
• Alan James Ned, 24, 4000 Hodges St. — three counts of drug possession with intent to distribute, aggravated flight from an officer, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, illegal carrying of a weapon in presence of drugs, reckless operation, suspended license, following too close. Bond: $452,000.
• William Brandon Singleton, 29, 3204 1/2 General Wainwright Drive — four counts of drug possession with intent to distribute. Bond: $160,000.
• Andre Price Jr., 19, 3110 Hodges St. — drug possession with intent to distribute. Bond: $150,000.
• Dominic John Ledoux, 25, 6505 Nelson Road — simple burglary, theft under $300, direct contempt of court. Bond: $80,000.
• Kade Jordan Savoie, 19, 652 Santa Anna Drive — forgery, theft under $500, simple criminal damage to property under $500. Bond: $65,000.
• Andrea Lee Brown, 29, 2039 Willowick St. — forgery, bank fraud, theft over $500. Bond: $15,000.
• Donovan McKenzie Darby, 19, 2400 6th St. — two counts of simple burglary, two counts of theft of a firearm, theft under $500, criminal mischief. Bond: $14,500.
• Jace Michael Perry, 21, 1285 Arsene LeBleu Road — misdemeanor carnal knowledge of a juvenile. Bond: $10,000.
• Kenya Lattrice Sinegal, 23, 802 N. Goos Blvd. — home invasion, first-degree robbery. Bond: $6,000.
• Aundrea Nicole Venable, 22, 450 Patton St., Sulphur — theft of a firearm. Bond: $5,000.
• Joseph Charles Flowers, 29, 2445 Salmon Drive — possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, non-moving violation.
Those listed are presumed innocent until proved guilty.