(American Press Archives)
Last Modified: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:19 PM
The Lake Area has one of the highest rates of obesity in the nation at 37 percent.
In an effort to decrease that figure the Partnership for a Healthier Southwest Louisiana and local mayors will hold walks in each of the parish’s cities this month.
To get involved, visit www.healthierswla.com or sign up on event day.
The city with the most participants — measured as a percentage of their population — will win a traveling prize.
Event-day registration for the Lake Charles walk will be at 7 a.m. June 22 at the corner of Lakeshore Drive and Bord du Lac Drive at Millennium Park.
The Walk with the Mayor will begin at 7:30 a.m. at the south end of the Promenade and continue northward to the PPG Fountain.
Free blood screenings will be given 7:30-11 a.m. in the Civic Center Exhibition Hall. Participants should fast six hours beforehand.
For more information, call the city at 491-1201 or the Partnership for a Healthier Southwest Louisiana at 497-0127, ext. 16.
• June 15 — Iowa High School track, 10 a.m.
• June 22 — DeQuincy Baseball/Softball Complex at Union Pacific Park, 9 a.m.
• June 22 — Westlake’s Managan Center, 8 a.m.
• June 29 — Sulphur’s The Grove at Heritage Square, 8 a.m.
• June 29 — Vinton High School track, 8 a.m.