Last Modified: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 11:09 AM
MONROE (AP) — The Monroe City School Board's hearing for Superintendent Kathleen Harris will likely continue as scheduled later this week after a judge denied Harris' petition to stop it and to let her return to work.
State District Judge Benjamin Jones denied Harris' petition Monday for a temporary restraining order against the Monroe City School Board.
The News-Star reports (http://tnsne.ws/NgwZsn) Harris filed a request last week to prevent the board from conducting a hearing on nine charges compiled in relation to her supervision of the school district.
Jones also denied Harris' request for immediate reinstatement and her request for a hearing on her petitions.
The Monroe City School Board filed objections to Harris' petition.
The board's filings included 20 objections to the temporary restraining order and 38 motions to strike.
After all were considered by Jones on Monday, he issued his ruling.
"I felt confident that the path we were on was proper and legal," board vice president Mickey Traweek said late Monday.
Charges against Harris range from improperly managing personnel to failure to apply for a $3 million School Improvement Grant to mismanaging the budget to failure to communicate effectively with the board.
Harris has been suspended with pay since June 29 while the board conducted its investigation. After the investigation concluded, the board extended the suspension and authorized an attorney to draw up the formal charges.
Harris' attorney, Jim Madison, contends the extension of the suspension is a violation of Harris' contract.
Board president Verbon Muhammad has said he hopes to reach a resolution with Harris before the 1 p.m. hearing on Thursday.